Date:      Thu, 02 Aug 2001 12:44:35 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@urx.com>
To:        Stacey Roberts <sroberts84@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Compatilbilty Issues with Abit VP6 and FreeBSD V4.3?

Stacey Roberts wrote:

> Hi Guys,
>    I've recently ordered FreeBSd V4.3, hoping to install it to a new system
> I'm putting together.
>
> The intended systems motherboard is Abit's VP6, running two P3 933's. I've
> tried looking, but can't find any documentation / notes on FreeBSD actually
> supporting the VP6, but then again, I haven't seen anything that says that
> it doesn't.

I have one running FreeBSD 4.3-stable. It doesn't perform as fast as I
expected when you compare it to my AMD based system. The AMD based
system needs a lot more time to do a buildworld. Things even out. If you
use ATA-100 HDs, stick an HD on each controller. Raid-0 is slower across
the board. With 3 - 30GB HDs and each output and source on a different
HD, I get a buildworld in 29 minutes. The AMD is slower.

Kent

> Any assistance / advice would really do for me. I wanna know what's the
> deal.,
>
> Cheers
>
> S Roberts

Kent Stewart