Date:      Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:23:01 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/tail forward.c

In message <20011125150531.A93698@xor.obsecurity.org>, Kris Kennaway writes:

>It would be nice if this could be abstracted somehow so the
>application doesn't have to do both.  Most application writers are
>going to forget this.

Yes, it would be nice to have some sort of conversion layer that
used polling of the underlying filesystem to allow use of the kqueue
API even when active notification is not directly available. There
would of course be a trade-off between efficiency and timely
notifications; maybe some sort backoff algorithm for polling would
give acceptable results.

I'm not sure I'd like to see what would happen if an application
that expects to be able to monitor hundreds of files efficiently
was to try to do this over NFS though :-)

Ian