Date:      Fri, 20 Jan 2006 18:27:41 -0300
From:      Daniel Molina Wegener <dmw@unete.cl>
To:        Beech Rintoul <akbeech@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sshd question

   On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 05:41:41PM -0900,
   Beech Rintoul wrote:

> I'm trying to set up ssh to use keys to authenticate on
> a remote server. I've always used passwords in the past.
> I generated a key pair and exported my public key to
> ~/.ssh/authorized_keys on the remote machine. I changed
> sshd_config to "PasswordAuthentication no". when I login the
> remote machine still asks for a password. What do I change to
> just use the key to log in?

  Well, that's right, but you must set also the next options:

ChallengeResponseAuthentication         no
PermitEmptyPasswords                    no
PasswordAuthentication                  no
IgnoreRhosts                            yes
IgnoreUserKnownHosts                    yes
HostbasedAuthentication                 no
RhostsRSAAuthentication                 no
PubkeyAuthentication                    yes
PermitRootLogin                         no
StrictModes                             yes

  This could be more secure. Never allow remote users to gain
root access. Instead, put a user in the wheel group to allow
this user to run su(1), also, you can setup a user with uid =
0, on another group to maintain the root user a little bit more
safe.

  Also, the logging options are should be these settings.

SyslogFacility          AUTH
LogLevel                VERBOSE

> Thanks,

  Best regards...