Date:      Wed, 13 Mar 2002 19:51:13 -0600
From:      "William A. Mahaffey III" <wam@HiWAAY.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Maximizing user-process address space under 4.4

Sirs:

    I recently installed FreeBSD 4.4 (Wind river, not a copy) on my 933
MHz Intel box. I want to use the machine to do finite element analysis &
want to be able to address as much of the 4 GB 32 bit address space as
possible to run big jobs (I was stuck at 2 GB w/ Linux, that's why
FreeBSD). I have talked w/ some people who gave me some suggestions, but
most were for 4.5, not 4.4. I can use 2 GB now, but whenever I recompile
the kernel w/ larger MAXDSIZ parameter (larger than 2 GB), the compile &
install go OK, but the kernel won't boot. Someone said something about
trying to cut down on a parameter called KVA_PAGES, but that's 4.5, not
4.4. What is the equivalent parameters(s) under 4.4 ? Thanks in advance
for your time.

                        Bill Mahaffey