Date:      Mon, 18 Nov 1996 21:56:14 -0600
From:      Chris Csanady <ccsanady@friley216.res.iastate.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: vnode_pager_input: I/O read error (2.1.5)

>Chris Csanady stands accused of saying:
>> This is bad.  Im concerned that this will not be fixed for 2.2 since I have
>> seen similar messages in 3.0.  It would be really nice to have a fix, and if
>> anyone has something that I may try, I would really apreciate it.
>
>It's not likely to be fixed if it is truly the hardware error that it
>appears to be.

As it happens on any of our 16 (identical) machines, this is not likely.

>> Here are the error messages that are repeated thousands of times:
>>
>> Oct 16 11:04:09 d /kernel: vnode_pager_input: I/O read error
>> Oct 16 11:04:09 d /kernel: vm_fault: pager input (probably hardware) error,
PID
>> 2531 failure
>> Oct 16 11:04:09 d /kernel: vnode_pager_input: I/O read error
>
>Where are the error messages from the device driver?  What are you swapping
>on?  Are you using NFS for either swap or your binaries?

Swap is local, while all binaries and home dirs are mounted over NFS from an
Irix 6.2 server.  I've seen this error from a 2.1.5 server as well though.  Our
network is fast and very rarely saturated, so I do not believe that it would
actually lose contact with the server unless its a server problem.  However the
same thing works from our SGI cluster, so I would not think that the case.  We
will be installing patches this friday, one of which i think is NFS related,
so I will check that again though.