Date:      Sun, 07 Aug 2011 21:25:11 +0200
From:      Gabor Kovesdan <gabor@FreeBSD.org>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org
Subject:   regex status report #11

Hi,

during the week I implemented the Boyer-Moore algorithm and I couldn't
measure any speed up neither in bsdgrep nor in sed. Probably, bsdgrep
has other bottlenecks and sed runs so fast even with big files that the
more efficient algorithm is not measurable. So for now, I decided to
clean this code up a bit and move on to the heuristical matching and
also take a look at how to optimize bsdgrep. It is more convenient to
work on the actual bottlenecks and I can get back to this code later
when the rest performs well.

I just noticed that the suggested pencils down date is coming. (Aug 15)
I will work until the hard deadline (Aug 22) to compensate the hours
that I missed because of moving and of course, I plan to continue
working on my project after the summer to finally replace the regex code
and also get rid of GNU grep.

Gabor