Date:      Fri, 23 Jun 2000 15:03:34 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
To:        Mauricio Westendorff Pegoraro <mwp@pucrs.br>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SQUID question - Urgent!

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Mauricio Westendorff Pegoraro wrote:

> > I don't think this is actually Squid's problem.  What does netstat -m
> > say when this is occurring?  I've only ever seen this happen one time,
> > on my mail server using a 3COM 3C509 (Etherlink III), and when it did
> > no communication with anything was possible.  The only way I could
> > solve the problem was to use ifconfig to bring the link down and then
> > back up.  I'm not sure if it was really a network card or driver
> > problem, but bringing the link down and back up probably triggered
> > something in the kernel that set things straight.
>
> Running netstat -m I get the following:
>
> # netstat -m -I ep1
> 1247/1664/4096 mbufs in use (current/peak/max):
>  258 mbufs allocated to data
>  988 mbufs allocated to packet headers
>  1 mbufs allocated to socket names and addresses
> 252/592/1024 mbuf clusters in use (current/peak/max)
> 1392 Kbytes allocated to network (47% in use)
> 0 requests for memory denied
> 0 requests for memory delayed
> 0 calls to protocol drain routines

That all looks OK.  You're not using over 50% of any of your
resources.

> I do have a 3COM 3C509 (Etherlink III, ISA) in one side of the
> gateway (it's a gateway machine) and a 3COM 3C90x on the other
> side.  The first interface is connect to radio link via AUI. I
> tried to the interface down and then up but it didn't work. I am
> trying other things now. Don' you think that this has something to
> do with the SA-00:23 released yesterday?

I witnessed this LONG before the security advisory, several months
ago.  My systems never seem to get attacked, either.  Nobody cares
about a school. :-)

I would blame the 3C509.  It is known to be a buggy card, or at least
the driver for it is buggy.  Since both you and I have seen the same
thing happen with the same card, it must be the card/driver.  I don't
like 3COM cards.  :-)

> One more information: I am using squid as transparente proxy.

I don't think that would make any difference.

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures. ( http://www.freebsd.org )