Date:      Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:24:32 -0700
From:      George Hartzell <hartzell@alerce.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org, Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net>, Vlad GALU <dudu@dudu.ro>
Subject:   Re: continuous backup solution for FreeBSD

Bakul Shah writes:
 > On Mon, 06 Oct 2008 18:09:06 +0300 "Vlad GALU" <dudu@dudu.ro>  wrote:

 > > > I am not saying it is impossible. They just need somebody to put them to
 > > > right track I guess. I personally cant do that. It would be nice if somebod
 > > > who has knowledge in this area contacts r1soft. At the very least r1soft
 > > > seems to be willing to communicate on this issue.
 > > >
 > > > Continuous backups as well as bare-metal-restore seem to be a key feature
 > > > for many hosters. FreeBSD is loosing users because of this issue.
 > >
 > >    gmirror+ggate come to mind as a nifty solution ...
 >
 > My guess is these guys do something simpler like keep keep
 > track of changed blocks since the last backup and
 > periodically dump those blocks to a server.  This is good
 > enough for backups (but not mirroring) and it has low memory
 > overhead (1 or 2 bits per block), lower network overhead than
 > remote mirroring (you send a block at most once every sync
 > interval), and a tiny loss of performance (over no backups).
 > May be someone ought to do a garchive device!

There were a couple of threads about using kqueue or other FreeBSD
tools to build something like Mac OS X's Time Machine.  R1soft's
software sounds very similar.

The conclusion seemed to be that it'd be doable.

Here's a pointer to the start of one of the threads.

  http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-hackers/2008-June/024730.html

g.