Date:      Tue, 16 Jun 1998 16:58:12 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <wpub1@net-link.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Resource config problem

Just a few hints that I just quickly can come up with:

Have a look in the /sys/i386/conf/LINT file. It contains an explanation
for all the kernel options.

Second, maxusers is set to 10 by default. Set that to 50 or 100 to make
room for caching, pipe, number of processes and other dynamic parameters
in the kernel. Have a look at how big the kernel grows after this change
and see if you need to put it at a higher value.

And recompile (don't forget to do a make install afterwards :-). That
should get you the first relief.

Let the list know what helped and what didn't know if this helps.

Nick Hibma

On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Matthew Hagerty wrote:

    > Greetings,
    >
    > If this is not technical enough for hackers then I apologize, but I posted
    > this in questions and did not receive any reply.  Thanks.
    >
    > --------------
    > Could someone please help me?  I have look all over (FAQ, Handbook, list
    > archive, apache website, etc) for answers.
    >
    > I have a server.  I am running 2.2.6-R and apache-1.2.6.  We do about 2 to
    > 5 million requests in a 24-hour period.
    >
    > We just switched from BSDI to FreeBSD and now we can only serve maybe 70
    > connections max.  Also, none of our cgi programs can run.  There is an
    > error in the apache error_log that says could not spawn child process:
    > resources unavailable.
    >
    > I have checked the apache page on performance tips, but they are for BSDI.
    > They do not pertain to FreeBSD.  The tips were actually written by a tech
    > from BSDI.  One of the tips is to add several lines to the kernel config
    > like: CHILD_MAX, SOMAXCONN, etc.  But SOMAXCONN should *not* be set as an
    > option in the kernel.  You should use sysctl during startup (so I've been
    > told).  I tried this both ways, adding to the kernel and using sysctl.
    > Adding to the kernel does not work!  So most of the apache tips are out the
    > window.
    >
    > I have checked the login.conf.  But I have been told that it only pertains
    > to users who login, not daemons started at the command line by root (like
    > apache).  I was also told that the daemon entry in login.conf is used to
    > limit programs started by the rc. files at start up.  Well, rc.local starts
    > my apache and I set the daemon entry to all infinity (like the root entry)
    > and it did not help any!  Also, what if you want (or need) to start a
    > daemon from the command line?  The daemon entry in login.conf would not be
    > much good, no?
    >
    > I tried increasing the FD_SETSIZE in make.conf and recompiling libc, the
    > kernal, and apache.  No better.  Actually seemed to make the system a
    > little unstable, so I removed the line and remade libc, kernel, and apache.
    >
    > Can someone tell me where I can check the limits being imposed on a runnig
    > process, set those limits, etc.?  Better yet, just send me a sysctl -a and
    > kernel config of Walnut Creek's or Yahoo's! servers.  They must have a
    > handle on this sort of thing.
    >
    > I am going in circles and a little crazy at the same time.  This seems to
    > be a mystical and avoided topic.  Also, is there any reason why MAXUSERS
    > cannot be set higher than 256?  I have never seen anyone suggest a higher
    > value.  I set mine to 384 just now and I did not have any problems.  But
    > then again, the server is not running any better :(
    >
    > Please, any help would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > Thank you,
    > Matthew Hagerty

STA-ISIS, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, Italy
building: 27A
tel.: +39 332 78 9549
fax.: +39 332 78 9185