Date:      Sun, 21 Jan 2001 05:15:15 -0500
From:      Bryant Martin <bryant@cms-mpc.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Checking Disk Space.

    I have an older FreeBSD installation, supplied to me by my ISP many
years ago.  It was on a 1.6 GB EIDE drive and old 66 Mhz PC.

    Two weeks ago I decided to replace this server with a new PC, with 4
GB EIDE, CD Drive and fast processor.  Not knowing how to do it, I
pulled the 1.6 drive and found that Norton's `Ghost' could read it.  I
copied it to the 4 GB offline.  I put the 4 GB in the new PC and it ran
fine, except the first night, when it coughed and restared several
times.  I think BSD must have been making fixes for its new environment?

    But, I would like to know how much of the 4 GB the single OS is
using.  I have looked at my books and your site helps and can't seem to
find a command similar to dos' `dir', which will end its display with
`bytes available' info.

    This raises other issues:  If it's using 1.6 GB only, who there can
help me (for money) by phone change the slice sizes, and maybe advise
about swap space and other matters, such as is the CD being seen, and is
the CD useful to me.  This is a small installation of less than 60
users.

    Too, I once wrote some PPP stuff to get my dial-up modem working on
COM1.  That took me two months, and I've forgotten how I did it,
exactly, but it's working great.  (This gives me ISP free from home
through my BSD at the office.)

    Can one of your experts help me look at my install and get the same
thing working for COM2, so I can hang another modem?

    Last point.  It's been centuries since I upgraded (although I have
two newer CD sets at my office where I was thinking about trying).
Everything runs great on my system, but I need to consider the security
implications of staying back at my old level.

Thanks for considering my pleas.

Bryant Martin

Commonwealth/Martin
1700 Venable Street
Richmond, VA 23223-6308

Voice Mail:  800.336.6245 x103  (local 804.780.1700 x103)
My Desk and Fax: 804.783.2601
Office Fax:   804.782.9876
FTP:   ftp://ftp.cms-mpc.com/
     [ip 209.99.158.2]