Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:04:22 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is describing sysctl variables useful?

--------------enig4D5EC62B7D7A0FD03CF0BD38

Alexander Leidinger wrote:
> Quoting Sofian Brabez <sbrabez@gmail.com> (from Fri, 4 Apr 2008 05:11:4=
1
> +0200):
>=20
>> About  syscl(3) OID description lack, i send my Google Summer Code
>> application to complete it this summer ;).
>=20
> Unfortunately this is not suitable for the SoC. Google wants code
> contributions, not pure documentation work. Maybe you can find somethin=
> else you would be willing to do during the SoC. In case you haven't sen=
> multiple applications, feel free to send more than one.

I feel that in this case it's only the case of proper wording. Strictly
speaking, adding descriptions to sysctls is a matter of coding kernel
code in C. Though it may not be 100% within the spirit of the rules,
it's certainly within the legalese. In any case it's not exactly trivial
since some semantics used by sysctls are convoluted and require either
understanding the code or nagging the author of the code.

I also feel that it's a practically very useful project (augmented with
writing "real" documentation as an integral, but officially out of
focus, part of the project).