Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 1999 22:21:09 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Palle Girgensohn <girgen@partitur.se>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: running java_X on non-X machine?

> I want to run servlets which use the java awt (for creating jpegs on the
> fly for web serving). Hence I need to run java_X, right?

Right.

> Now, I want to run this on a server that has no XWindow
> configured. Any ideas how this can be implemented?

AFAIK, it can't be implemented this way.  You'll need to create a jpeg
solution that doesn't involve any AWT/Swing components if you want to do
this on a Unix box.  (The same problem exists on Solaris FWIW).

If you find another solution to this, please let us (me!) know, since
I'd be very interested in any solution you can find....

Nate