Date:      Sat, 1 Aug 1998 16:18:35 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Andre Albsmeier <andre.albsmeier@mchp.siemens.de>
To:        scot@planet-three.com (Scot Elliott)
Cc:        bromage@queens.unimelb.edu.au, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: CD writers as a backup medium

> Hi.
>
> I use a Plasmon CDR-480 (which is just a Panasonic CW-7502.  It's
> supported by the cdrecord port.

I am using the old CDR100 from Yamaha with cdrecord (no CAM).

> cdrecord automatically sets its priotity quite high, but I personally run
> it and the mkisofs process with real time priority (see rtprio).  I

That's what I do as well (rtprio 5, yes, the number doesn't matter as
long as it's the only rtprio process).

> believe this is what /usr/share/examples/worm/... use with the worm
> devices.  My machine isn't overloaded, so I can't say what happens during
> high usage, but I've never had an overrun yet - and I always do

Think you mean an underrun here :-)

> mkisofs-cdrecord piping rather than creating an ISO image first.

I create the iso image first but while running cdrecord with rtprio,
I make a buildworld, use netscape, run rc5,... all at the same time
and never got an underrun. I am writing my CDs at 4x speed :-)
The write buffer never goes below 97% and the CDR100 only has 256k buffer.

> If you want any more help let me know.
>
> Scot.

	-Andre