Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 01:40:09 +0100
From:      "Kastaki" <kastaki@ganbert.com>
To:        <dmp@pantherdragon.org>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   UNIX and Networking

> On a server, the more workload you can take off the CPU the better,
> that way it has more time to handle the management tasks and heavy
> lifting.  This kills software modems for any server.  Second, because
> FreeBSD is even less of a desktop OS than Linux, people who do use
> FreeBSD as their desktop are definitely hardcore sub-species of geek.
> Thus the users and, more importantly, those who can write the drivers,
> already know better than to go anywhere near a software modem.

I know this might sound really stupid, but how do you use UNIX in a
networking environment???
I mean, take Win2K, you can install a DOMAIN CONTROLLER and you have all
your users log in to a domain, and it makes life much easier as an
administrator, you can set security policies, you can virtually control
their life from 9 till 5......as long as they LOG INTO THE DC....but if they
log in as local users (if they are allowed), then they will have no access
to the network....

Yes, I agree UNIX is more stable, it can run Web Servers or Mail servers
more efficiently, it can run File and Print Servers and most of the time it
can run Application Servers, such as Oracle on Sun Servers - but my question
is, how do you administer the network as far as your users as concerned?
If your users are using Win2K Professional desktops and you are running UNIX
servers, then they obviously log into their desktops as local users, and if
they want to use that Oracle DB, they can double click an icon on their
desktop and that starts a shell at the UNIX server, but how can you control
their desktops from your UNIX Box - or do you have to have a DC somewhere in
your networking environment? Bearing in  mind that 80% of security breaches
are internal!!

I guess what I am trying to ask is can Unix live without Microsoft or Novell
as far as authentication is concerned?