Date:      Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:22:21 +1000
From:      q9405096@brampton.cqu.edu.au
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install behind firewall; FTP over HTTP proxies.

On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 01:23:53AM -0800, Brent Kearney wrote:
> I think Damian's difficulty is (partially) due to his not having control
> over the firewall at his university.  I assume this firewall allows http,
> but not ftp, proxy services.  Sorry, I should have quoted more of his
> message.  I know if I were to ask ACS at my university to open the proxy
> for ftp, they'd chuckle a bit before hanging up on me ;)
>
> -brent

Yes, it's exactly the case...  They allow through ICQ, Quake 3, and
numerous other things, but disallow rsync, cvs, direct ftp, and all the
neat developers toys.  No fair. ;)

And yes, if I rang someone and asked I'd get the same sort of response -
except the person on the other end may ask something like, "Firewall,
isn't that something they stick in F1 cars?"

Agreed, getting the ISO is the quickest way...  I'll con my mate into
bringing his computer (with burner) to university one night.
--
damian, wondering why the hell the uni can't get a clue.

PS.  We just got a new NT domain controller installed.  Eugh.  If they
phase out the unix box, I'll start rerouting network services. :)