Date:      Fri, 13 Sep 1996 19:31:46 -0700
From:      erich@uruk.org
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
Cc:        smp@csn.net (Steve Passe), smp@freebsd.org, peter@spinner.dialix.com
Subject:   Re: writing new apic_startup

"Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com> writes:

> >   Failing that does anyone see any reason why I shouldn't use the APIC
> > timer?  Is it currently used on the boot CPU for anything else?
>
> The very reason Intel added a timer to the APIC was because of the need to
> do these timings during SMP initilization.  Please do write your code to use
> the APIC timer.

I'd *highly* suggest that anybody doing this kind of stuff look at the
Pentium eratta.  I remember at least one bug in some versions about the
APIC timer being somewhat off in some circumstances.

--
  Erich Stefan Boleyn                 \_ E-mail (preferred):  <erich@uruk.org>
Mad Genius wanna-be, CyberMuffin        \__      (finger me for other stats)