Date:      Sat, 24 Oct 1998 22:54:50 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
To:        "Scot W. Hetzel" <hetzels@westbend.net>, "FreeBSD-Stable" <FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: CTM Release Generation - (Re: Stable and CTM)

At 14:29 24/10/98 -0500, Scot W. Hetzel wrote:
>The generation of the src-<Version>xR<CurrentRelease> delta's are supposed
>to be generated manually after each release by either the CTM maintainer or
>the Release Engineer.

So these deltas are only created at every release instead of every 100
deltas like the xEmpty's?

Would it not be better to create an xR<CurrentRelease> delta at the same
time as the xEmpty delta then you could upgrade to the -stable code easily
by downloading the deltas that then come afterwards as well?

By only creating xR<CurrentRelease> deltas during the release of another
version it means that you can only update from release to release and
nothing in between.

For example, I am sitting here with the 2.2.7-Release code on CD. And we
are currently half way in between 2.2.7-Release and 2.2.8-Release. I cannot
update to the 'current' -stable code, because the next xR<CurrentRelease>
delta will not be created untill 2.2.8 is released.

Am I right?

>Could somebody please create these Release Deltas, so that this question
>never comes up on the list again.

Whoops. Do I detect that this has come up on the list before? :-)
--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@sour.cream.org>
http://sour.cream.org