Date:      Fri, 20 Mar 1998 10:57:30 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Pathetic FTP performance

I am getting really pathetic FTP performance across my LAN.  From any
machine to any other machine, I am seeing several hundred k / sec via FTP.
E.g. from my Mac to my SGI, I see between 300k/s - 1M/s, depending on file
size.

However, when I am running FreeBSD (-Current as of 12 March), I am getting
really pathetic performance... on the order of 0-2 k / second.

The network is 10baseT, My ethernet is the intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B
rev 0x02 that is built into the DK440LX motherboard.  The net is almost
completely unloaded, so it isn't traffic.

Running ping generally has a transit time of just under 1 ms, although I am
seeing 4% packet loss (2 packets out of 40).

Generally, what I am seeing is both low transfer rates as well as *LOTS* of
stalling.

Any suggestions what is causing this, and how to diagnose / fix it?

Thanks,

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;