Date:      Sat, 28 Nov 1998 22:35:02 -0500
From:      Travis Ruthenburg <travis@trickster.net>
To:        <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   popauth woes

I'm a newbie to FreeBSD and Unix in general. I hope my question is easily
answered by someone out there.

I am using popauth (popb4smtp ?) on my FreeBSD machine. If you're not
familiar with popauth, it's a set of three scripts that prevent mail
relaying. The watcher script watches for users checking their POP
accounts. After a user checks their pop account, their ip is added to a
directory. The allow script then allows any ip in the directory to use
the smtp server. Finally, after a set number of minutes, the expire
script removes the ip address from the directory. More information can be
found at <http://spam.abuse.net/tools/smPbS.html>.

To quote the site: "Run this watcher in the background, killing and
restarting it from cron whenever the syslog (and its own log) files are
rotated. (Use the watcher.pid file)" This explains why popauth would
systematically crap out on me. So, my question is, how exactly do I use
cron to kill and restart the watcher?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Travis Ruthenburg
bjork bjork bjork