Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 21:43:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Utz <spaz@u.washington.edu>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        sef@kithrup.com, jkh@time.cdrom.com, rdmurphy@bu.edu, freebsd-emulation@FreeBSD.org, plm@xs4all.nl
Subject:   Re: DOS Emulator (was: Re: JDK 1.02)

Hi Mike;

	Thanks for the helpful response. I am glad that u were able to
sort the initial problem out. I was originally drawn to respond by the
fact that there was a segment address of 0000:, which i thought was
illegal, but it has been several years since i have messed around with
80x86 asm. I am doing 8051's this summer, unfortunately.

	The one thing that i would point out is that it seems that even
ls.exe is a little ambitious. I would try and go after a subcomponent of
that first. Let's see, are u guys chasing int21? let me grab my dos and
bios quick reference...int21/01 keyboard input with echo? int21/02 display
output. These are calls that u could hack together to try out smaller
chunks. ls.exe asks for keyboard, display and disk visits. if u were to
take the gcc -s output of ls.c and use the subchunks to prove simpler
chunks, u might have a more managable problem IMHO.

	but, hey, these are things i can try as soon as i get this
2.0.5 upgrade finished.

	mucho tnx for all the work u guys have put into it so far....
 John Utz	spaz@u.washington.edu
	idiocy is the impulse function in the convolution of life