Date:      Wed, 01 Aug 2007 21:50:09 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        acpi@freebsd.org, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>, ume@freebsd.org, gahr@gahr.ch
Subject:   Re: [patch] enhance powerd(8) to handle max temperature

--==_Exmh_1186030209_19060P

> > Garrett Cooper wrote:

> >> Wow, something's really wrong with those calculated temperatures. At
> >> that value most of the plastic and weaker circuitry should have fused
> >> together =\.
> >
> > It would be interesting to see what the values are just after booting,
> > or even earlier if you can get the bios to give temperatures (some MBs
> > have that possibility)

Not really. My ThinkPad shows even higher values and I am convinced that they
are correct:
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 10
hw.acpi.thermal.user_override: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 55.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.passive_cooling: 1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: 94.5C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 99.0C
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1

These are correct. During heavy compute use, I have seen my laptop CPU at 86C. Nothing melts. According to the other five sensors, nothing ouside of the CPU is anywhere near that hot. (It does get hot enough under the heat pipes and sink to be very uncomfortable when used as a literal laptop.)

The CPU temperature is measured by a junction in the chip and it is the hottest point in the machine (unless you have a hot GPU). The days of sensors on the mobo that show an external temp are pretty much over as all recent AMD and Intel chips have internal sensors. If you check the spec sheets, many recent chips are rated for operating at internal temps of 100C and higher.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)

--==_Exmh_1186030209_19060P