Date:      Mon, 12 Mar 2001 17:46:04 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Larry Rosenman <ler@lerctr.org>
Cc:        marcel@FreeBSD.org, qa@FreeBSD.org, Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Subject:   Re: cputype=486

On 13-Mar-01 Larry Rosenman wrote:
> * Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com> [010312 18:32]:

>> > As I said, I lose the P-III optimizations while it's a host,
>> > or is there a variable to installworld that says ROOT is HERE...???
>>
>> Yes. It's called DESTDIR, as in:
>>
>>      make installworld DESTDIR=/foo/bar/baz
> NOPE, doesn't work, as install -fschg doesn't work across NFS.
>
> I'll post the log in a bit.
>
> SO, now I guess I have to ignore the CPUTYPE= setting while installing
> the 486.
>
> I don't think this was what was intended.

Can you try editing src/Makefile.inc1 where it says something like this:

installworld:
        mkdir -p ${INSTALLTMP}
        for prog in [ awk cat chflags chmod chown date echo egrep find grep \
            install ln make makewhatis mtree mv perl rm sed sh sysctl \
            test true uname wc zic; do \
                cp `which $$prog` ${INSTALLTMP}; \
        done
        cd ${.CURDIR}; ${IMAKE} reinstall
        rm -rf ${INSTALLTMP}

add 'strip' to the list of files copied in that loop and then try running a
normal installworld with an NFS mounted /usr/obj and /usr/src on the 486 like
you did originally?