Date:      Sun, 16 Mar 2014 14:45:46 +0100
From:      FBSD <freebsd@rgbaz.eu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NetBSD compatibility

On 15-03-14 21:59, Waitman Gobble wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 15, 2014 at 1:07 PM, illoai@gmail.com <illoai@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 15 March 2014 07:46, FBSD <freebsd@rgbaz.eu> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Is there any way to run NetBSD binaries (32 bit)
>>> on FreeBSD?
>>>
>>> I'm trying to get an RLM license server to run on
>>> my FBSD 9 server. The Linux emulation returns
>>> errors, so i searched and found a NetBSD binary.
>>> it doesn't run though...
>>>
>> I didn't spend a whole bunch of time searching, but
>> it appears that the answer is no.  I believe it would
>> have to be a kernel module (or compiled in) & no
>> such beast exists that I know of.
>>
>> It does appear that NetBSD has quite a bit better
>> compatibility with other OSes:
>> https://www.netbsd.org/docs/compat.html
>>
>> I actually quite like NetBSD, but I haven't used
>> it since the dim & distant days of 1.6.2-ish.
>
> You could try running a virtual machine..

Hi,

thanks for the replies.
I am currently running the linux 32 bit version using the
linuxulator, yet there's one unrecognized systemcall that
prevents it to connect to the network.
maybe I should ask on the emulator list?

I was looking into running it in a VM but it seems a bit overkill
for a 859k application ;)

I sent a request to the vendor (Reprise Software) to compile
the netbsd version for freebsd. let's see what they say...
I don't expect much though since most of the time these
companies say that the users should switch.

How much work can it be to compile a small NetBSD 32 bit
server application for FreeBSD 64?

thanks

greets
Arno