Date:      Tue, 05 Jan 1999 19:23:42 +0900
From:      Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
To:        Darren Reed <avalon@coombs.anu.edu.au>, Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp
Subject:   Re: psm0 on laptops.

>> Modern laptops with an `inbuilt' mouse as well as an external mouse
>> port allow usage to be changed by simply "plugging in" a PS-2 mouse
>> when running Windows.  However, I noticed that FreeBSD 2.2.7 detects
>> them both differently (generic PS/2 vs IntelliMouse) and hence if you
>> boot up with one, you can't unplug and use the other.  Is this "fixed"
>> in -current or is there some other way to "make it work" ?
>
>You might be able to do it by using moused and restarting it when you
>change mice.  If that works, a little more tinkering might make it
>practical to have it autodetect the change...

Um, the psm driver does not currently support "hot plugging".  If you
swap PS/2 mice while the system is running, the psm driver will be
confused and fail to work properly if the two mice doesn't talk the
same protocol.

I don't know how the W*ndows PS/2 mouse driver can detect that a new
mouse has suddenly appeared at the PS/2 mouse port and switch to a
different protocol.  You see, both the internal PS/2 mouse/pointing
device and the external device are wired to the same PS/2 mouse
port...

That said, you may experiment a bit as follows:

The psm driver in 3.0-CURRENT has several new configuration flags,
some of which may be useful. (Unfortunately they are not yet explained
in the man page for psm(4) ;-<

	flags 0x200

With the above flag the psm driver will treat any PS/2 mouse as
"generic PS/2" mouse and will use the standard PS/2 mouse protocol
only.  You should be able to use any PS/2 mouse, internal or external,
in this configuration. However, you won't be able to use "wheel",
"roller", or any other fancy features.

Kazu