Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 09:56:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jim Van Baalen <vansax@mail.websidestory.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   rdump question

I have been dumping several machines to local 8mm drives. Dump writes to
these drives at about 4mbps. To conserve resources I have been trying
to dump to the same model drive on a remote machine using the <hostname>:
notation. When I do this dump writes at about .5mbps. Both machines are
on dedicated 10bt switched connections and dump is definitely not taxing
the 10bt connection. Both machines are 266Mhz which I have seen easily
fill a switched 10bt connection. Neither machine is working particulary
hard independent of the dump. I have tried replacing the 3COM 3C905 Fast
Etherlink XL PCI with the Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B because I have
had NFS problems while using the 3COM card. It appears the the default
block size for dump is 1024 (as opposed to 8192 for NFS) so it I didn't
think this would work, but I had the cards... With typical disk capacities
of 4-9Gb dumping a drive at this speed can take over a day.

Is this expected behavior?

Is there a solution to this problem?

What is the bottleneck?

Jim