Date:      Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:59:39 -0400
From:      "Eric S. Raymond" <esr@snark.thyrsus.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        Brian Behlendorf <brian@hyperreal.org>, Don Wilde <dwilde1@ibm.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: branding

Jordan K. Hubbard <jkh@time.cdrom.com>:
> No, Eric, this boils down to "Eric asks me [at USENIX] to get more
> FreeBSD advocates to send him material since the opensource web page
> looks essentially like a Linux web page, I refer said advocates to
> Eric, they come back and say (in essence) ``Eric told us to get
> stuffed, what do we do now?''"

I have at no point rejected any BSD material for the site that met the two
public criteria of (a) OSD license conformance, and (b) a profit-making
entity with a greater than $1M-a-year run rate.

Those two criteria stem directly from my objective, which is: to get
open source accepted in the real world, by persuading people who care
about making lots of money that it's a good thing for their aim of
making lots of money.

If your "BSD advocates" couldn't meet those tests, that's their
problem and not mine.  The Open Source site will stop looking like a
Linux site when, and *only* when, FreeBSD/NetBSD/OpenBSD have
substantial and persuasive real-world successes comparable to those of
Linux to display.

In the meantime, I am not going to let you or anyone else bully me
into giving BSD special treatment that it has not earned -- any more
than I would let Linus Torvalds bully me if the situation were reversed.

But go ahead and make all the childish threats you like.  It won't be
any skin off my nose, personally, if you try to make public trouble at
Open Source Developer Day or anywhere else.  The only effect that will
have is to make you sound like a whining, petulant loser -- and to
reinforce the BSD crowd's already ripe reputation for cutting off its
own nose to spite its face.

If, on the other hand, you want to work for the good of the whole
community, than I give you a challenge.  Write a web page on BSD's
successes and send it to me.  Take your best shot.  If it meets my
criteria for what's persuasive to non-hackers, I'll edit for look and
feel and add it to the site.

Put up or shut up.
--

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to
take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic