Date:      Thu, 8 Mar 2001 18:49:15 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Jim Ekleberry" <jim_ekleberry@hotmail.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is FreeBSD UNIX or UNIX-like?

Jim Ekleberry <jim_ekleberry@hotmail.com> types:

Please don't do that - just send plain text, with no HTML.

> ------=_NextPart_000_0005_01C0A7AB.FA279C40
>
> A friend and I are debating as to whether FreeBSD is really BSD UNIX =
> ported for the x86 and Alpha platforms, or if it is UNIX-like similar to =
> Linux.

Since no one else mentioned Linux:

BSD was developed from the AT&T source code for Unix. The court case
over the possible copyright violation was settled before the court
reached a decision, leaving AT&T with no legal claims on the code base
that the current distributions use.

Linux was rewritten (almost) from scratch to adhere to the Unix
documentation, without incorporating any of the original Unix code.

To me, this means that the various BSDs are Unix, as much as things
like Ultrix and SunOS are, but Linux is Unix-like. The holders of the
trademark disagree, and exercise their legal right to control the use
of that mark, so BSD is called a Unix-like system.

And the name of BSD is called ...

	<mike