Date:      Mon, 27 Jan 1997 13:03:05 -0600
From:      Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   directory conventions

I just got the following from Blair Zajac, who is working on the next
release of amanda:

> I'm working on Amanda 2.3.0.4 right this minute.  It's got a lot of
> patches included in it, but probably the biggest deal is that it now
> uses automake and autoconf to build the sources.
> Finally, since I've been converting this to automake, GNU has some standard
> places where it likes to shove things.  Right now Amanda 2.3.0.4 uses the
> following distribution:
>
>             $prefix/bin                 Amanda server side programs
>             $prefix/libexec             Amanda backup client programs
>             $prefix/share/amanda        Runtime configuration files
>             $prefix/share/amanda-index  Directory for index of dumps
>             $prefix/var/amanda          Directory for database & log files
>
> I figure that the configuration files and the indexing files can go under
> share, since they are in a format that all OS'es can understand.  However,
> the log files and the database (curinfo) files may be OS dependent and should
> go into another directory, say var.  This is all customizable using the
> options that configure provides to change the locations of where stuff gets
> installed.  Does anybody have any good ideas or comments on this?

Prefix for BSD's is /usr/local.

My guess is that config files should go to /usr/local/etc.

What is the diff in purpose between /usr/local/libexec and
/usr/local/bin?

What is /usr/local/share for?  Portable bits, as Blair suggests?

And what of /usr/local/var?