Date:      Sun, 15 Mar 1998 13:14:15 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Tim Moony <timm@uniqsite.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Urgent help needed!!  ATAPI driver won't recognize my CDROM

On Sun,  8 March 1998 at 21:47:27 -0800, Tim Moony wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Mar 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:
>

>> That's about 250 MB.  You need to completely rebuild the system.
>
> I believe that approach will demote my system from 2.2-stable to
> 2.2.whatever-current.

Not quite.  You'd promote it, if that's the word, to 3.0-CURRENT.

> I checked the mailing list and some said their GoldStar worked with
> 2.2.x and some said otherwise.

This would suggest that -CURRENT is overkill

> I had been using Matcd driver until I inherited a 85% new system from a
> friend (with another 6X Goldstar CDROM -- I had one before which never
> worked under 2.1.5).
>
> I am not sure if the drive is PNP or non-PNP.  Anyways, I was just
> guessing -current provides newer drivers.

That's true enough.  But it's guesswork :-)

> Just curious about incorperating new drivers into existing code: how'd you
> guys do it without a patch code?  I mean, I would assume many files are
> involved (in addition to atapi.c, atapi.h, wcd.c, etc.)

In fact, an individual driver normally has only two or three files.
Typically, you put it in the source tree in a directory appropriate
for the kind of hardware (pci/, i386/isa, etc), and add entries in
i386/conf/files saying what drivers it's needed for.  Take a look at
the places and you might get the idea; unfortunately, I can't give you
a good pointer at the moment.  There might be something in the
handbook.

If all that doesn't help, contact Søren Schmidt (sos@FreeBSD.org), who
is handling CD problems.  He might have some suggestions.

Greg