Date:      Mon, 26 Feb 2001 10:14:09 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brett Taylor <brett@peloton.runet.edu>
To:        Gregory Bond <gnb@itga.com.au>
Cc:        Andreas Ntaflos <ntaflos.andreas@gmx.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: /dev/dsp problems with "play" (usr/ports/audio/play), but not with wavplay (usr/ports/audio/wavplay)

Hi guys,

On Mon, 26 Feb 2001, Gregory Bond wrote:

> > I've got a weird little problem... trying to play wavefiles via
> > 'play' (usr/ports/audio/play) results in the following (SB Live):
> >
> > play: /dev/dsp: Invalid argument
>

> Hmm, I'm tracking down a similar problem with waveplay
> (/usr/ports/audio/ waveplay).  The first time this is run after a
> reboot is OK, but from then on it will not work - it gets the same
> error (doing a SOUND_PCM_WRITE_CHANNELS ioctl).

I have a problem which may be related - if I use splay or xanim, it
usually works the first time, but trying it more than once during a single
login usually results in

	/dev/dsp already in use

But it's not..  :-)  I thought at first something with my sound was
screwed up, but xmcd still works, but anything going through dsp fails
(splay, xanim, gqmpeg etc).

Brett