Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:43:58 +0600 (NS)
From:      Alexander Kolchinsky <kas@iclub.nsu.ru>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP Travan 4000s restore problems

My box runs under FreeBSD 3.4 :

FreeBSD myserver.ru 3.4-STABLE FreeBSD 3.4-STABLE #0: Sun Dec 26 02:20:04
NS 1999     root@myserver.ru:/usr/src/sys/compile/myserver  i386

I use HP Travan 4000s for backup. For this purpose I use the shell script:

#!/bin/sh
/usr/bin/chflags -R nodump /usr/obj /usr/src /usr/swap0 /tmp
/usr/local/samba/gang /usr/local/etc/squid/cache /usr/lost+found

/usr/bin/mt erase
/usr/bin/mt rewind

/sbin/dump -a -0 -h 0 -u -f /dev/nrsa0 /
/sbin/dump -a -0 -h 0 -u -f /dev/nrsa0 /var
/sbin/dump -a -0 -h 0 -u -f /dev/nrsa0 /usr

This script works fine. At least, it seems like the tape drive writing
tape.
The last backup was done at 21 december 1999. When I had tried to
restore yesterday I received error message :

bash$ mt rewind
bash$ restore -if /dev/nrsa0
tape read error: Input/output error
bash$

For test purpose I made another backup on the same tape today. Restore
command starts to work fine with this tape now.

But other tapes with earlier backups still not working. I try to read
these 4 tapes under other Linux box using other HP Travan 4000s but 3
tapes can't be read with the same error. Tape #4 with the today's backup
has been read fine.

Why I can't read 3 tapes with backups that were written 21 December 1999
and earlier?

Alexander Kolchinsky