Date:      14 Oct 2001 14:50:41 -0700
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup

Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org> writes:

> The two build processes don't touch the the running system in any
> way. installkernel already saves the old kernel and modules as
> kernel.old and modules.old.

Which reminds me of something else I wondered about.  When I select an
old kernel from the boot prompt, shouldn't I do something to select
the old modules to go with it?  It seems I'd have to use the "load"
boot command to load each and every module I need or will need, since
the old kernel doesn't know where to find the old modules. Or does it?
I don't recall reading about that.

> To answer your question, the only thing that has to work to boot
> single user is the shell.

I was thinking of "init", but I've not used single-user mode enough to
remember what all's running, and I suppose "init" is even more likely
to be compatible than the shell in any case.

And then you've got to use some more of the old world in order to mount
swap and disks and run software to install the new world, etc.  But
you've convinced me that it's nothing to lose sleep about.