Date:      Sun, 27 Apr 1997 14:36:16 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        James FitzGibbon <james@nexis.net>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Suggested change to apache port

On Sun, 27 Apr 1997, James FitzGibbon wrote:

> I've received a request to port the perl5 Apache module (integrates perl
> into the server for CGI's and modules).  It would be a pretty easy task,
> but in order to build mod_perl.o, I need to Apache source files.
>
> The existing apache port doesn't install the source files anywhere.  I
> realize that this is against the standard for ports, but I think that in
> the case of Apache, we have a valid case for doing so.

Some of the old tcl/tk stuff used to do this.  I think they handled it by
doing a make configure on the other sources they needed, then copying as
required.  This has the drawback of requiring an absolute location of the
apache port (it would have to be in $(PORTSDIR)/www/apache), but I think
this cost is less than the alternative, which requires everyone to store
the sources.  That sounds more aberrant, to me.  You could just force the
directory to exist using the BUILD_DEPENDS stuff, which would get the
fetch/patch/whatever done for you.  That part at least is simpler now
that that used in those old tcl/tk things, which used to do cd's and
makes (I found that real ugly!)

At least this would do away with the need (you brought up) to store the
sources for apache separately, or to otherwise gen up a new, separate
source dist which you'd have to keep current.

Anyhow, that's my suggestion.

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |