Date:      Fri, 29 Sep 2000 22:19:20 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <garycor@home.com>
To:        Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Danny Howard <dannyman@tellme.com>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: text console size on IBM TP 240?

Mike Smith wrote:

> > But, as small as the screen is, I think I'd just as soon stick with the
> > console for most things, and run screen.  Unfortunately, the console leaves
> > well over an inch of LCD on each side, making the font smaller and less fun to
> > squint at than it should be.
> >
> > I looked through LINT, but have no clue if I can coax the text console in to
> > eating up the entire LCD.  Has anyone a good experience here and can point me
> > in the right direction?
>
> There's probably an undocumented BIOS hotkey that will put the screen in
> 'stretch' mode.  Try Fn and work your way through everything until you
> find it.

I have a TP 240 (Windows only).  It came to me with text "stretch" enabled.
The characters were difficult to read - I hated it.  I found an option
in the BIOS setup screen to disable it and much prefer the more-clearly-defined
non-stretched characters.

Too bad there isn't a way to just _use_ more of the screen with the
non-stretched characters.  But you'd have to put the screen in bit-mapped
mode and have a custom driver for that mode.  Does anything like that
exist, Mike?  Maybe a VESA mode???  Obviously I couldn't use it since that's
not my FreeBSD machine - I'm just curious...

Gary