Date:      Sun, 06 Oct 1996 18:30:11 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   GUS stuff: mission impossible 8)

Okay, I managed to find out what was wrong with playing midi files on the
GUS PnP.

/sys/i386/isa/sound/soundcard.h

struct patch_info {
                short key;              /* Use GUS_PATCH here */
 #define GUS_PATCH       _PATCHKEY(0x04)
 #define OBSOLETE_GUS_PATCH      _PATCHKEY(0x02)

                short device_no;        /* Synthesizer number */
                short instr_no;         /* Midi pgm# */

                unsigned long mode;

Make sure that the definition of key is *not* "unsigned short key;" rather
"short key;"

So recompile the kernel, install the kernel, reboot and playing on 8)

If playmidi does not work for you , try this:

cp /sys/i386/isa/sound/soundcard.h /usr/include/machine/.
cp /sys/i386/isa/sound/ultrasound.h /usr/include/machine/.

recompile playmidi and try again.

If playmidi crashes or fails to play wait till tomorrow when I get a
change to release the next version of the sound driver. Is just that
I want to do a bit more testing before I release it.

Oh the bit about mission impossible:

ftp://rah.star-gate.com/pub/missio_1.mid

Now if Bettina can see me playing mission impossible and doing the
dishes 8)

	Enjoy,
	Amancio