Date:      Fri, 16 Oct 1998 17:22:02 -0400
From:      "Steve Friedrich" <SteveFriedrich@Hot-Shot.com>
To:        "Brian Somers" <brian@Awfulhak.org>, "keith@apcs.com.au" <keith@apcs.com.au>
Cc:        "questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ping

On Fri, 16 Oct 1998 15:20:49 +0100, Brian Somers wrote:

>This is probably the result of a cheap modem that trains downwards
>due to line noise and never trains back up.
>
>I'd advise a disconnect/reconnect every 12-24 hours to avoid this.

USRobotics (now owned by 3Com) had this specific trouble (and probably
some other brands that were simply copying their design) and can be
fixed by upgrading the MODEMs firmware.  This is easy if the MODEM uses
flash ROM. Just download their upgrade wizard.  If it uses real ROMs
(you know, really read-only!), then you'd have to buy new ROMs from
their service department (I wouldn't, I'd just buy a new USR V90).

>> Hi All
>>
>> The Link to my isp runns slow after 3 days and the only fix is hang up the modem
>> and dial back in.
>>
>> (33600 modem - 2.2.7-RELEASE dialed into a 33600 modem connected to a 2e30
>> Port Master)

Unix systems measure "uptime" in years, Winblows measures it in minutes.