Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 22:41:03 -0600 (MDT)
From:      VINSON WAYNE HOWARD <Wayne.Vinson@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   /dev/mixerstat

This question has been plaquing me, and I don't know where to post it, but
this is supposed to be for "questions," so here goes:

I have OSS demo for my sound system, and it appears to be configured
properly.

I can cat .wavs to /dev/dsp0 or /dev/dsp1 and get a (predictably bad)
output.  Now, here's the problem.  My system came with /dev/dsp a symbolic
link to /dev/sndstat and /dev/mixer a symbolic link to /dev/mixerstat.
Well, I obviously can't cat audio to the sound status device, and
dev/mixerstat doesn't even exist! (MAKEDEV can't make it either).  Of
course all the sound programs I try to use don't work as a result of this
mess.  So, what should dev/mixer and dev/dsp be liks to?

Thanks in advance for the help, and cc me 'cuz I'm not on the list.