Date:      Sat, 2 Oct 1999 12:56:04 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Dan Mahoney <dmahoney@pe.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   "Top" shows large amount of "inact" RAM

I have been watching the output of "top" on
my FreeBSD 3.2 system, and I was wondering
if anyone could help me undestand a little
better?

'top" currently shows 318 M active, 113 inactive,
51 M wired, 13M cache, 8341 K buff, 2744K free
(this is on a dual-CPU system with 512 MB
phyiscal RAM). I also see 668K out of 512 M
of swap in use. Here's my confusion:
shouldn't the inactive RAM be getting cleared
out and reused, instead of starting to hit the
swap space? Or is my understanding of the
process unclear?

I *did* check the mailing list archives,
but all I got out of that was a little more
confusion.  It appears that a couple other
folks have asked very similar questions over
the last two or three weeks, but without a
clear resolution that I can see.

Dan Mahoney
dmahoney@pe.net