Date:      Fri, 22 Feb 2008 23:56:40 -0800
From:      perryh@pluto.rain.com
To:        pauls@utdallas.edu
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: setting X11BASE

> LOCALBASE is /usr/local unless you've changed it (but then you
> would already know what it was if you had.)  You can find its
> value in /usr/ports/Mk/
>
>  grep "LOCALBASE?=" /usr/ports/Mk/*
> /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk:LOCALBASE?=           /usr/local

Aha!

> > In case it matters, I have not upgraded to the modular Xorg, and
> > would prefer not to go through all that.  "It ain't broke ..."
>
> ... if you want to stay with the old system, you're probably going
> to need to put USE_NONDEFAULT_X11BASE?=/usr/X11R6 in your make.conf
> file to keep your ports from breaking in interesting ways ...

Aha! again.

> Read /usr/ports/UPDATING carefully before proceeding.

I did, but only as far back as the last time I updated, and I skipped
entries which were identified as affecting ports I haven't installed
or don't use ... including the modular xorg which I'm trying to avoid.
(I figure it can wait until I do a clean install, on a different
machine, using 7.0 when it comes out.)