Date:      Wed, 8 Mar 2006 13:23:51 -0500
From:      Garance A Drosehn <gad@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>, scottl@samsco.org
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/vm swap_pager.c vm_fault.c vm_map.c  vm_page.c vm_pageq.c

At 9:02 AM -0700 3/8/06, M. Warner Losh wrote:
>In message: <440EF0B0.1010203@samsco.org>
>             Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org> writes:
>:
>: Yeah, diff increase with other FreeBSD branches is a big
>: deal.  While sharing between RELENG_4 and more recent
>: branches is pretty hard these days, a lot can be shared
>: between RELENG_5, RELENG_6, and HEAD.
>
>Would merging these to RELENG_6 help any?  RELENG_5 is dead
>after this release anyway...
>
>After all, with the new release cycle, there would never be
>a good time to remove this old cruft from the tree since we'd
>always have multiple branches to deal with.

Let me play the advocate here for a few minutes...

For what (little?) it is worth, I think this is a reasonable
thing to do, particularly for the files were it reduces the
diffs with other actively-developed projects such as NetBSD.

I understand the issues of code churn, but I also remember
the YEARS we spent debating whether we would move to ansi
function definitions instead of K&R.  We constantly agreed
that such a move would be a good idea, but anytime anyone
tried to do it, they got yelled at because "Today is not a
good day to make that change".

*IFF* these changes reduce diffs with NetBSD, then there is
real value to that.  Yes, we increase diffs with RELENG_4,
but RELENG_4 is not being actively developed.  We will not
be comparing RELENG_4 to HEAD because someone just committed
some great new feature to RELENG_4, but we will be doing that
with the code in NetBSD.

I'd also like to think that the other projects will be looking
at our code to import some of our great new features into their
code-base.  The more they pick up, the better for both projects.
And I assume that reducing diffs with them will make it easier
for them to check over whatever we've been up to lately.

I also appreciated the issue of code-churn making life harder
for security branches.  But if I'm not mistaken, we are
already at the point that we do not necessarily fix security
issues in RELENG_4.  So, that leaves RELENG_5 and RELENG_6.
If these changes are MFC'ed into RELENG_6, I think we will
be in pretty good shape.

Not that I'm volunteering to do any of it...

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn     =      gad@gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer               or   gad@FreeBSD.org