Date:      Thu, 31 Jan 2002 19:19:40 +0100
From:      Robert Klein <RoKlein@roklein.de>
To:        Per olof Ljungmark <peo@intersonic.se>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How do I enable softupdates on /

On Thursday, 31. January 2002 18:05, you wrote:
> On an existing system, how do I enable softupdates for the /
> partition? It appears it cannot be made while its mounted so it
> looks like a chicken-and-egg problem...

Not completely a chicken-and-egg problem.

Put your system into single-user mode (init 1)

(Perhaps you have to unmount the other file systems, I don't know
right now)

mount -u -r /
tunefs -n enable </dev/whatever>
mount -u -w /

if you don't know what /dev/whatever your root-fs is on, simply
execute

mount

which shows you what device it is.

Robert