Date:      Mon, 10 Aug 2009 07:02:03 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Al Plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>, "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: .cshrc  History missing

--------------enig28E859301FB33428F0B3869A

Al Plant wrote:
> Polytropon wrote:
>> Allthough I'm not familiar with the particular problem you
>> described, I observed that the history sometimes (!) does
>> not survive a reboot. It may have to do with a situation
>> where more than one shell is running. Idea: The last shell
>> closed (even forced) saves its history, so the history of
>> the other shells gets lost.
>>
>> I've set those globally in /etc/csh.cshrc:
>>
>>     set history =3D 100
>>     set savehist =3D 100
>>
>> Sometimes, history survives, sometimes it doesn't. Very
>> strange...
>>

> Aloha Poly,
>=20
> I'm glad to have somebody confirm this. I thought it was funny that thi=
s=20
> was happening.
>=20
> I have earlier CURRENT 8 running on a couple of machines and they never=
=20
> acted this way.
>=20
> This is root that is doing this on my test box.
>  set history =3D 100
>  set savehistory =3D 100
> are in the .cshrc file.
>=20
> I'll look in /etc/csh.cshrc
>=20
> Thanks...

Yeah.  The history mechanism in tcsh doesn't cope very well with multiple=
=20
ttys being closed down at once, as you tend to find when logging out of a=
X session.  You get the history from just one of those shells.=20

It's not a complete cure, but telling the shell to merge it's history wit=
what's already there:

        set history =3D 500
        set savehist =3D (1000 merge)

This helps, but it is not completely reliable when several shells are shu=
tdown
in quick succession.

	Cheers,

	Matthew