Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 2003 14:26:18 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
To:        "Doug Poland" <doug@polands.org>
Cc:        java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fonts in eclipse

Doug Poland said:

>>> So far, yes it does.  However, I cannot find a ttf port on my
>>> 4.8-STABLE system.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help,
>>>

>>  ~ports/x11-fonts/webfonts
>>
>> the port contains the fonts i was referring to. :)
>>
> Thanks, unfortunately I still have these huge fonts.  This is what
> I've done...
>
>   Read the file: /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.fonts
>   Installed the webfonts port
>   Edited my XF86Config file and removed
>
> 	FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType/"
>
>   Removed the above directory from the file system
>   Ran fc-cache
>   Restarted X
>   setenv GDK_USE_XFT 1
>   Started Eclipse and...
>     Window ->Preferences ->Workbench ->Fonts ->Restore Defaults
>
> I wonder if this might be a problem with an underlying system,
> Eclipse depends on several ports that manipulate fonts...
>
> % pkg_info -rR /var/db/pkg/eclipse-2.1.1_2/
> Information for eclipse-2.1.1_2:
>
> Depends on:
> Dependency: urwfonts-1.0
> Dependency: jpeg-6b_1
> Dependency: png-1.2.5_2
> Dependency: pkgconfig-0.15.0
> Dependency: freetype2-2.1.4_1
> Dependency: open-motif-2.2.2_1
> Dependency: libiconv-1.9.1_1
> Dependency: tiff-3.5.7_1
> Dependency: expat-1.95.6_1
> Dependency: javavmwrapper-1.4
> Dependency: imake-4.3.0_1
> Dependency: fontconfig-2.2.90_3
> Dependency: XFree86-libraries-4.3.0_5
> Dependency: gettext-0.11.5_1
> Dependency: XFree86-fontEncodings-4.3.0
> Dependency: glib-2.2.2
> Dependency: jdk-1.4.1p3
> Dependency: atk-1.2.4
> Dependency: XFree86-fontScalable-4.3.0
> Dependency: Xft-2.1.2
> Dependency: pango-1.2.3
> Dependency: gtk-2.2.2
>
> Also, here's my XF86Config font path:
>
>         FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"
>         FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/URW"
>         FontPath     "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/webfonts"

Not sure if it's bad form to follow-up on one's own posts but
have some new observations.  I was taking fonts out of my path
one-by-one using

  xset fp- /path/to/font/
  xset fp rehash

then launching eclipse.  When I took out /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/
eclipse failed to start and gave me this message....

  The program '<unknown>' received an X Window System error.
  The error was 'BadName (named color or font does not exist)'.
    (Details: serial 498 error_code 15 request_code 45 minor_code 0)

So it would seem that eclipse is using the fonts in that path.  Also,
for clarification, the problem I'm having with huge fonts in eclipse
is not the customizable fonts in Window ->Preferences....  The huge
fonts are the pull-down menus, tab labels, nodes in Navigator tree,
etc.  Basically any font I *cannot* control from the eclipse interface.

Hope that helps...

--
Regards,
Doug