Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 1999 14:26:37 +0000
From:      Rob <drifter@stratos.net>
To:        agroz@uslink.net
Cc:        MW <mw74@bigpond.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KPPP problem please help!!!

On Sun, Apr 04, 1999 at 12:24:21PM -0500, agroz@uslink.net wrote:

> On 04-Apr-99 MW wrote:
> > Ive set up KPPP under FreeBSD 3.1 (generic kernel)
> >
> > The modem dials and connects but i cant access anything
> >
> > KPPP sets the defaulte route to the ppp0 interface and puts the nameservers
> > i specified in /etc/resolv.conf
> >
> > Pinging the IP address of the ppp0 interface doesnt even give any reply-it
> > just sits there
> > Ive included the outputs of my netstat -rn command and ifconfig command
> > (while KPPP is running)
> > Can someone please help?

     Ditto.  I'm also running 3.1 with KPPP and have the same problems.

> Are your expect/send pairs set correctly? (configure ppp0)
>  You should have something like this:
>  EXPECT    SEND
>
> ogin:      <login name>     ; note, some ISPs use username: put name: for ogin:
> word:      <your password>

     Nope.  This isn't the problem with me (and I would imagine him, too).
When running KPPP, I enable the terminal login option so that I can manually
log in.  Clearly, it accepts my login and password, so I don't know what
is going on.
     Note that when I was running kppp under 2.8, I had a different
problem where it would appear to log in properly, but then it gave an
"The PPP Daemon died unexpectedly!" (My kernel ppp was properly set up
and worked just fine without kppp).

> Failing that, you will have to use minicom to see what is being received, if
> your ISP supports SLIP login; else if you're sure it's connecting properly to
> your isp call their tech support and see what they expect for E/S
> hope this helps
>

> agrozREMOVEME@uslink.net

     -Rob