Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:10:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        dwalton@acm.org
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: OLDCARD to go away

In message: <41EF6A90.1010101@acm.org>
            Dave Walton <dwalton@acm.org> writes:
: On 8 Nov 2004, M. Warner Losh wrote:
:  >
:  > I'm in the process of flushing my last few changes into OLDCARD
:  > (mostly pccard.conf entries).  Once that's complete, I'll be removing
:  > OLDCARD from head, likely early next week.
:
: Now that that has happened, where does that leave support for my
: Thinkpad 770Z for versions after 5.3-R?

5.x will continue to support it.  NEWCARD will have to pickup the
ball and support the old ISA devices it has better.

: As near as I can figure, my problem is that my chipset, which works as
: pcic in OLDCARD, is somehow not fully supported as cbb in GENERIC.  Can
: someone who understands this low-level stuff please let me know whether
: cbb has been (or will be) improved to work here?  As it stands now, I'm
: afraid to cvsup -STABLE, leaving me permanently stuck at 5.3-R.

The TI 1251 is fully supported.  If it isn't working for you, then
there are other issues at work that need to be solved.  I've used the
1251 with cbb.

: With GENERIC, I see this:
: cbb0: <TI1251 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x50103000-0x50103fff irq 11 at
: device 2.0 on pci0
: cardbus0: <CardBus bus> on cbb0
: pccard0: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb0
: cbb1: <TI1251 PCI-CardBus Bridge> mem 0x50102000-0x50102fff irq 11 at
: device 2.1 on pci0
: cardbus1: <CardBus bus> on cbb1
: pccard1: <16-bit PCCard bus> on cbb1
: pccard0: Card has no functions!
: cbb0: PC Card card activation failed
: pccard1: Card has no functions!
: cbb1: PC Card card activation failed

This smells like a resource allocation issue.  The card was seen as
being there, but when the card was probed for its information, we
found none.

The biggest difference between newcard and oldcard in the CIS area is
that newcard asks the system for memory region to use from high
memory, while oldcard has a value passed in, usually from the ISA hole.

Warner