Date:      Sat, 24 Mar 2007 01:02:58 -0700
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: optimization for Athlon 64 X2

On Mar 23, 2007, at 10:51 PM, Josh Paetzel wrote:

> Garrett Cooper wrote:
>> Daniel Dvo??=E1k wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>> out of curiosity, which CPUTYPE setting is appropriate for dual =20
>>> Manchester core Athlon 64 X2 3800+ processor with FreeBSD 6.2 =20
>>> (GCC 3.4.4) ?
>>> Googling throws up nothing useful.
>>> Dan
>>
>> Try the -march value listed here (athlon64): <http://gentoo-=20
>> wiki.com/Safe_Cflags#Athlon_64_X2_.28AMD.29>.
>>
>> -Garrett
>
> That looks suspiciously like linux documentation...and he was asking
> about the CPUTYPE setting in make.conf which is (?) FreeBSD specific?
>
> Anyways, there's a sample make.conf in
> /usr/share/examples/etc/ that documents the various CPUTYPEs
> available.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Josh Paetzel

It is Linux documentation, but considering that a) gcc is the gnu =20
based compiler, b) FreeBSD uses gcc for compiling everything, and c) =20
march =3D> CPUTYPE, that's why I suggested to use that value :). =20
Besides, Gentoo's crazier about compiling (in some respects) compared =20=

to FreeBSD.

Don't worry -- I wouldn't (knowingly) lead someone astray :).
-Garrett=