Date:      Sun, 15 Apr 2001 15:52:40 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        "Hartmann, O." <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

* Hartmann, O. <ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de> [010415 15:48] wrote:
> Dear Sirs.
>
> I would like to ask for stability for several SMP systems running
> FreeBSD.
> As I heard about some rumours SMP systems under FreeBSD tend to reboot
> spontanously after a while and the fact, that we here reboot our systems
> nearly every week due a frequent cvsupdate, I feel a little bit confused
> and would like to hear about other experiences.

~ % uname -srm
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE i386
~ % uptime
 3:49PM  up 64 days, 12:54, 1 user, load averages: 0.29, 0.22, 0.45

~ % uptime
 3:50PM  up 64 days, 12:56, 2 users, load averages: 0.61, 0.55, 0.41
~ % uname -srm
FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE i386

~ % uptime
 3:50PM  up 12 days, 18:51, 1 user, load averages: 0.04, 0.17, 0.23
~ % uname -srm
FreeBSD 4.3-RC i386

These are some pretty heavily loaded databases under my care atm.

All downtime has been scheduled.

I really haven't seen any stability issues in the 4.x series for
pretty generic setups along with SMP.

However, you shouldn't be using APM with SMP, afaik most APM
BIOS are not smp safe.

-Alfred