Date:      Thu, 18 Aug 2011 23:54:12 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
To:        Alexander Best <arundel@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org, freebsd-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: docs/159220: Strange sentence in /usr/src/UPDATING

---559023410-589170569-1313726052=:7526

On Tue, 16 Aug 2011, Alexander Best wrote:

> On Tue Jul 26 11, Benjamin Kaduk wrote:
>> On Tue, 26 Jul 2011, Alexander Best wrote:
>>
>>> In /usr/src/UPDATING, almost at the very end of the file, there's the
>>> following sentence:
>>>
>>> "This file contains a list, in reverse chronological order, of major
>>> breakages in tracking -current.  Not all things will be listed here,
>>> and it only starts on October 16, 2004.  Updating files can found in
>>> previous releases if your system is older than this."
>>>
>>> The last sentence seems quite broken. At least I haven't got a clue what
>>> it's supposed to mean.
>>
>> "If you need to see entries from the UPDATING file which are older than
>> 2004/10/16, go get the UPDATING file from a previous &os; release, and it
>> will have a better chance of including what you're looking for."
>
> could we please please please get this fixed before 9.0?

I seem to recall there was discussion of this on IRC around the time it
was sent in, though I don't have records of it handy.
Anyway, here, have a more suitable wording in the form of a patch.

-Ben Kaduk
---559023410-589170569-1313726052=:7526
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---559023410-589170569-1313726052=:7526--