Date:      Sat, 09 Dec 2000 09:16:55 -0700
From:      Chuck Paterson <cp@bsdi.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>, Mike Smith <msmith@FreeBSD.ORG>, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netgraph and SMP

Once again I would urge people to just make it work now and worry
about making it fast later. In this case for now it really seems
like we should just wrap it in a macro and use the lock manager,
which is know to work. We can go back and fix performance when we
have a stable platform and know we are just fixing the bugs we
introduce with the speed optimizations.

I would even more strongly urge people to not make architectural
changes now. There are definately less expensive locks that can be
fashioned for specific use profiles, such as almost always reader
use. In my opinion we should

1)	Get the system converted and stable
2)	Make higher performance lock primitives for specific use
	profiles.
3)	Look at making architectural changes to the pre-existing
	system.

Chuck

Chuck