Date:      Sun, 15 Sep 1996 16:44:47 -0400
From:      Howard Goldstein <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: INN history file and disk I/O

In article <v02140b01ae62039c6700@[195.52.251.6]>, you wrote:
 : I have run into a problem with one of my newsservers recently. It is a
 : P120, 64 MB, Adaptec 2940, 3 SCSI drives running FreeBSD 980801-SNAP. INN
 : version 1.4unoff4. It receives and sends several full feeds, but is hardly
 : used by readers.

same config here except kernel and  ide (echhh) drives

 : Using systat -vm, I have found out that it has 80 - 100 disk seeks per
 : second on the disk that carries the history file (which is about 90 MB
 : large). When I move the history file, it is the other disk that gets hit,
 : so it definitely is the history file that causes this I/O. Could this be
 : the reason for my problem ?

I see a similar hit on history, maybe 10x as many seeks as compared to
the drives holding overview and spool.

 :
 : Sometimes I see messages like this in the log:
 : Sep 15 21:07:00 news innd: ME cant sendto CCreader bytes 4 No such file or
 : directory
 : I don't know if this is relevant here.

Got these too, many of them, just before the news.daily report is
generated.

 :
 : Any experiences on how to deal with that ? Suggestions are welcome.

First try hardcoding IP addresses in nnrp.access in case you're
getting killed during the hostbyaddress lookup.

You didn't mention if you have MMAP turned on anywhere (we don't), or
running any non standard stuff like shared active, nntplink, etc.

Last resort might be to back off of SNAP.  2.1.5R Release kernel works fine
with an acceptable reader startup delay.

--
Howard Goldstein   <hgoldste@bbs.mpcs.com>